🌜 Apollo 11 Lunar Surface Journal: Program Alarms
We’ve been watching the new Apple TV+ show, For All Mankind. The 1201 and 1202 program alarms were covered thoroughly in 13 Minutes to the Moon, a fantastic exploration of the final 13 minutes of Apollo 11’s lunar descent. This article covers the technical detail of the alarms. I don’t remember the podcast mentioning the reboot + process restart that occurred when these alarms appeared but was mentioned in passing in the show.
🏔 Nirmal Purja Just Shattered the 8,000er Record + Project Possible
Over six months and seven days, [Nirmal Purja] summited all 14 of the world’s 8,000-meter peaks
Climbed Everest and Lhotse in one day and helped rescue a distressed climber on Annapurna. 🤯
🧠 Different Kinds of Stupid
Smart is the ability to solve hard problems, which can be done many ways. Stupid is a tendency to not comprehend easy problems.
There are a lot of kinds of smart. There are a lot of kinds of stupid, too.
- Intelligence creep - thinking intelligence in one arena equates to all
- Underestimating the complexity of past successes in a way that makes you overestimate their repeatability (Dollo’s Law)
- Not believing that there are different kinds of smart based on different experiences
- Persuasion is more important than having the “right” answer
- “Closed-system thinking” - underestimating the external consequences of your decisions in a hyperconnected world
💵 Diaper rush: conquering a $9 billion market no one wants to talk about
The unglamorous industry of adult diapers. “A demographic shift that reconfigures modern economies” is one of the “big things” pointed out in the list of most important forces shaping the world.
🎶 Michael Kiwanuka - Paino Joint (This Kind of Love)